Enter now for SA’s MTB challenge with a unique varsity twist
After a successful inaugural race in 2016, the Varsity MTB Challenge is back for an exciting second edition. Sporting an updated logo, this year’s race will take place on 30 September and 1 October 2017 in Paarl and Franschhoek.
“Professional and casual riders were blow away by how well the first race was organised,” says Gina Woodburn, Varsity MTB Challenge Organiser. “The unique route, shower facilities, face cloths at the finish line, and well-marshalled route were just some of the elements that took riders by surprise. For the second edition of the race, riders can expect more from this young MTB brand and we invite all MTB enthusiasts to join us in Paarl and Franschhoek at the end of September.”
Varsity MTB Challenge is the only mountain bike race in South Africa with a unique university twist, whereby each participant (and team) rides for the university of his or her choice. This does not mean that riders need to be students. This race is for everyone.
“MTB is the sports platform of choice for executives wanting to connect with friends and business partners,” adds Woodburn. “With Varsity MTB we’re creating an opportunity for alumni to do just that, while competing with the young MTB stars for their university of choice.”
Teams of two will compete in two major categories: general entries and student entries, with prizes up for grabs for Men’s, Women’s and Mixed teams. A special student entry fee will apply to registered students.
- General Public and Alumni entry: R4 000 per team of two
- Student entry: R2 200 per team of two (students need to present their student cards on race day)
- To enter, visit the Fees and Registration page on www.varsitymtbchallenge.com
FNB and RMB Private Bank cardholders receive a further 10% discount on their entry fee (terms and conditions apply).
Included in entry fee
- University-specific bike numbers
- Personalised name/university bike stickers
- Event race jersey (General Public and Alumni entries only)
- FNB promotional items
- Light breakfast table on both days
- Lunch on both days
- Live entertainment at the race village each day
- Complimentary rider facilities at the race village
- Lucky prizes
What to expect in 2017
The race weekend promises to be lots of fun for everyone, including spectators. Expect a vibrant race village with beer garden, wine tasting and food stalls. Live entertainment will be on offer. For spectators wanting to follow that action on the trails, special spectator spots will be created on the route.
For riders, expect the best rider facilities on offer:
- Refreshment stations serving complimentary drinks, food, sweet treats and more
- Route marshals and direction signage
- Photographers and race coverage on route
- Bike park and storage
- Bike wash
- Shower facilities with complimentary towels and shower gel
- Massage and Recovery Zone. Treat yourself to a relaxing massage and well-deserved recovery at the Recovery Zone. This facility will be free to all riders and no pre-booking is necessary.
Entries are now open and closing date for final entries is 30 September 2017.
Facebook: Varsity MTB Challenge