Stephan Reyneke and Wesley Eslick of Bestmed ASG clinched the 105km first stage of the 2014 MTN Panorama Tour as they narrowly pipped Barend Burger and Ian Pienaar with a time of 3hours, 1minute and a second, during the start of the 9th edition of the event in Casterbridge, White River on Saturday, 26th April.
Last year’s third placed finishers at this stage, Adolph Krige and Alan Gordon once again took third place in the men’s section.
Male winners Reyneke and his partner Eslick rode well to fight off the challenge of Kruger and Pienaar throughout the course on a sunny Saturday morning around the tranquil setting of the Mpumalanga province, but could do little as the duo powered quickly first home by a split second to finish off stage one with the leader’s jersey.
The stage 1 of the four day road stage race for teams of two proved its billing as the hardest of the stages with a lot of uphills, few downhills and a tough route that drained a lot of energy from the cyclists.
Yolandi du Toit and Dalene van der Leek crossed the line first ahead of Anlie Smith and An-Li Kachelhoffer in the ladies section with a time of 3hours, 18minutes and 23seconds.
After the long stage 1, the riders will be looking for a fast stage 2. This stage is the flattest the Lowveld can offer. The route from Casterbridge passes through Sabie, Nelspruit onto the N4 bypass and rolls up and down until Karino. The route also takes the riders towards the Kruger International Airport.
The race starts and finishes off at Casterbridge.
1. 3:01:01 Stephan Reyneke & Wesley Eslick for Bestmed ASG
2. 3:01:24 Barend Burger & Ian Pienaar for Demacon-Europcar
3. 3:07:57 Adolph Krige & Alan Gordon for Ownsurance1
1. 3:18:23 Yolandi du Toit & Dalene van der Leek for Garmin & Bells Cycling
2. 3:25:26 Anlie Smith & An-Li Kachelhoffer for Activated Drinks / Cycle Lab
3. 3:36:53 Desiree Strydom & Bianca Holtzkampf-Mayer for Pocket Rockets
1. 3:14:10 Anriette Schoeman & John Wakefield for Science to Sport
2. 3:14:16 Grant Edmiston & Greer Wyn for Kitchen Bar
3. Susan Garett & David Garret for Giant-CVT Mixed
1. 3:07:23 Mike Hewan & Henry Uys for Complete Elite
2. 3:07:26 Franco Ferreira & Trevor Davies for Complete Cyclist
3. 3:07:29 Neil Bolton & Alex Pavlov for Northcliff Cycles Grand Masters
1. 3:07:33 Greg Wittstock & Samuel de Swardt for MTN Club 100
2. 3:07:39 Julien van der Pluym & Johann Naude for Bestmed Universum VETS ONE
3. 3:07:51 Andrew Westerway & Alex Otto for PCC
1. 3:11:57 Jose Antunes & Leon Olivier for LION & ANT
2. 3:12:18 Jorge Faria & Shane Brown for Madala Two
3. 3:37:21 Dirk Labuschagne & David Fourie for Bestmed Universum Masters