Whether its road or trail running, actress Anji Woodley is embarking on a new journey into the running world!
WHY IS RUNNING YOUR CHOICE OF FITNESS?
It’s always been a part of me! Running (as most of us do as kids) is a natural thing and that’s why so many races /comps /charity / fun runs have been created. It’s all about getting moving. You don’t need fancy equipment, all you need is determination.
THERE IS AN ENORMOUS IMPACT ON YOUR KNEES AND FEET – HOW DO YOU LOOK AFTER YOUR BODY IN THIS REGARD?
I don’t just run, I also do pilates and yoga and other training to prep and strengthen my body and to help it heal. I also, after a big run or training session, soak in a warm bath of Epsom salts. Also, your capacity to run faster and further can be greatly impacted by your gear. I run in Asics FuzeXLyte trainers, they are light but most importantly provide a lot of cushioning on my heels and balls of my feet. That’s where I feel it most !
WHAT TRAINING GEAR WOULD YOU RECOMMEND?
At this point in time I’m not just about what’s plastered all over Instagram or Pinterest but more what’s workable and suits the task of exercise at hand, whether it’s training with weights, Pilates, trail running or road running. Luckily my fave brand for this is ASICS which I’m currently having a love affair with, especially their new range as they provide all ranges of shoes and gear etc for any exercise you choose!
WHERE DO YOU LIKE TO TRAIN?
Out in the open for trails, on the road and at gym. Even at home if I can!
WOULD YOU EVER CONSIDER TAKING PART IN A MARATHON?
I am by NO MEANS a professional sportswoman but YES! Actually, my husband Charl and I have decided to take part in the upcoming Cape Town marathon in September! We have NEVER run anything close to that distance but we want to challenge ourselves, motivate each other as a team, and we want to document our training from Zero-Marathon – what we experience, the hardships, the pain, the solutions and tips that we gain along the way. To show people out there that YOU can do it. Plus, we will be accountable when we take others on the journey with us!
WHAT 5 TIPS OF ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE TO PEOPLE LOOKING TO TAKE UP RUNNING?
- Decide to do it and set yourself realistic goals..
- Find a good easy program to follow so that you don’t burn out at the start. We’re using the Asics running app to help us along the way.
- Try incorporate other forms of exercise as well, particularly yoga or Pilates .
- Purchase good shoes!!! And gear later on, but the shoes are the big one! It’s an investment on your body! I mean how cool is this? Asics is a Latin acronym that’s translates into “sound mind, sound body” which is so true! When I used to run, my feet were in such pain and I would just stop. It demotivated me but recently for the fun of it I ran the 10k Hyundai Rock the run in my FuzeXLyte’s and I felt motivated enough to feel like I could actually train for a marathon! Amazing!
- Take it easy, have fun! Find a buddy to do it with! Be willing to Experience something new.
WHAT MEAL WOULD YOU RECOMMEND BEFORE AND AFTER A RUN
Everyone has different levels of comfort regarding eating & training, you just have to find what works for you! If you feel ill after running, don’t force yourself to eat a massive meal, chill out a bit and then judge yourself 🙂 LISTEN to your body!