2013 champion Barend Kruger and new riding partner for the 2014 edition of the MTN Panorama Tour, Ian Pienaar, maintained their impressive start to the annual cycling event when they clinched first spot after an 85km grueling Stage 2 in White River, Mpumalanga on Freedom Day.
Kruger, who was in scintillating form on the tricky roads of the Lowveld in 2013 with a previous partner has again started the competition well, fighting gallantly to clock a time of 02:22’03” against the challenges of Stephan Reyneke and Wesley Eslick, who finished first on day 1 of the event.
Reyneke and Eslick followed closely behind the leading pack during a fast-paced Stage 2 as they came home after 02:23’44” in scorching conditions in the Lowveld on Sunday, which saw the cyclists ride through Sabie, Nelspruit, the N4 bypass and then rolling up and down until Karino. The route also took riders past the Kruger International Airport.
Stage 1 winners in the women’s section Yolandi du Toit and Dalene van der Leek had little trouble completing the hard stage 2 as winners in a time of 02:28’54”.
The 2014 winner in the ladies section, Anriette Schoeman and partner John Wakefield remain atop the leaderboard after stage 2 of the mixed section. The duo finished in a time of 02:’25:20”
The 113km-long stage 3 on Monday, 28th April will see the riders facing a long day in the saddle with some tough climbing.
Team MTN Qhubeka pro-continental superstars, Andreas Stauff, Tsgabu Grmay and John-Lee Augustyn are also participating in the Tour but as teammates for MTN Business clients.
The race starts and finishes at Casterbridge in White River.
MTN Panorama Tour General Classification and Stage 2
1. Barend Kruger and Ian Pienaar – GC: 05:23:29; Stage 2: 02:22:03
2. Stephan Reyneke and Wesley Eslick – GC: 05:24:47; Stage 2: 02:23:44
3. Hansie Joubert and Jacques FullardGC – GC: 05:27:08; Stage 2: 02:19:05
1. Yolandi du Toit and Dalene va der leek – GC: 05:47:19; Stage 2: 02:28:54
2. Am-li Kachelhoffer and Anli Smith – GC: 05:54:22; Stage 2: 02:28:56
3. Andrea Steyn and Marlene Mathey – GC: 06:21:10; Stage 2: 02:39:03
1. John Wakefield and Anriette Schoeman – GC: 02:25:10; Stage 2: 05:39:23
2. Grant Edmiston and Greer Wynn – GC: 02:25:10; Stage 2: 05:39:27