To me, this is a truly beautifully designed car. I have been really impressed with the new DS range of cars from Citroen and I can’t wait to see more! The DS4 has been designed extremely well, both inside and out, and it’s a sexy car. It is supercharged and there’s a lot of fun to be had behind the wheel. It is a proper hot hatch and I it could well make people rethink their impression of the brand in South Africa.
It has all the niceties to make it an extremely comfortable ride; it has rain sensors, automatic lights and rear park distance control. The DS4 has all the safety features that you’d expect, and the brakes are excellent, adding to the car’s overall “in control” feeling. It’s quick and nippy yet smooth. Citroen has always been renowned for their suspension and the handling in this model is no exception.
The fuel consumption isn’t the best but it’s in the ball park for a hot hatch. It’s advantage over many of the contenders in this market is that it includes most of the luxury features you would find in an executive saloon whilst delivering a sporty drive. It really is an impressive step for Citroen and it’s a car I would recommend test driving. I personally prefer the quirkiness of the DS3, but the DS4 offers more refinement with that French touch.
The big question will be if the DS4 can establish itself in an already well stocked (some might say overstocked) market segment. To me, it offers good value for money, but South Africans are renowned for their brand loyalty and it’s not easy for a relatively new brand to break in. It’s a solid step in the right direction for Citroen and it’s going to be interesting to see what they follow up with! The one thing that does concern me with the DS4 is that it does cross into the DS3 market and the units could be losing customers to each other.
The DS range is one of the sexiest on the market, and I think that in a market where cars do tend to look quite similar, these cars stand out – Citroen has done amazingly well to develop a unique identity without looking out of place.
Specs Worth Noting:
- Price: R325,900.00
- Engine: Supercharged 1,6 Transverse Inline 4 Cyclinder
- Gearbox: 6-Speed Automatic
- 0-100: 9,3 seconds
- Top Speed: 212kmph
- Power Output: 120kw@6000rpm
- Torque: 240nm@1400rpm
- Automatic Air Conditioner: Yes
- Auto Headlamps: Yes
- Xenon Headlamps: Optional
- Wipers: Rain Sensor
- Park Distance Control: Rear
- Satellite Navigation: Optional
- Air Bags: Driver, Passenger, Front Lateral, Front and Rear Curtains
- Brakes: ABS, EBD, ESP, EBA and ITC
- Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1750 TBi Quadrifoglio Verde: R351,800.00
- Audi A3 Sportbakc 2,0T FSI Ambition: R337,815.00
- BMW 118i 5-dr Steptronic: R310,500.00
- Honda CR-Z 3-dr: R305,898.00
- Opel Astra 1,6T Sport: R301,900.00
- Renault Megane Coupe RS 250 Sport 3-dr: R359,900.00
- VW Scirocco 2,0 TSI Sportline: R347,000.00
- Volvo C30 2,0 Essential Powershift: R292,200.00
Photos by www.quickpic.co.za