What – The final event in the 4- event 2013 Billabong Junior Surfing Series presented by BOS. The Billabong Junior Surfing Series has a long and illustrious history in South Africa and is the premier junior surfing series in the country. There is R750,000 in cash and prizes for the elite junior surfers in the country, and this event will crown the series winners in all the various divisions. There are also a number of extra prizes in various divisions:
– BOS will be awarding the Surfer Of The Series with R20k cash and prizes.
– All Aboard Travel have put up a Sportsmanship Award of a return ticket to Bali with four nights accommodation valued at R20k for the surfer who displays the best sportsmanship over the series.
– The VonZipper Flair Up Award will go to the surfer who successfully lands the biggest or most sylish aerial move of the event.
– The DaKine Youthful Movement Award goes to the surfer who performs the most innovative or progressive move performed during the competition.
– The Nixon WTA (Winner Takes All) prize of an engraved Nixon watch will go to the surfer with the highest heat score.
When – This final event will take place next weekend, from Saturday 21 September to Monday 23 September. The opening function for the event will be at the Cape St Francis Resort on Friday 20 at 7PM. There will also be a closing function on Monday 23 evening at the Cape St Francis Resort.
Where – The legendary right-hand point-break of Seal Point, Cape St Francis will be the primary venue, with the option of going to the beachbreak if necessary. The point break is a long and perfect right-hand break that offers ideal waves for high performance surfing and will provide the perfect canvas for the best juniors to light up their performances and impress the judges.
Why – Billabong has enjoyed a long and succesful relationship with junior surfers in South Africa, and many graduates from their junior series over the years have gone on to enjoy successful pro surfing careers. Billabong aims to continue nurturing this relationship and get more of our junior surfers into sucessful careers on a professional level. The Billabong Junior Series Presented By BOS is a grassroots surfing initiative, aiming at teaching our junior surfers important lessons in competitive surfing and surfing as vocation.
Who – The best junior surfers in the country will be present and competing at the event, and vying for the prestigious series titles.
Seal Point provided great waves last year © Roy Harley
The TV schedule for the recent Cape Town event:
Event Location Date Start Channel
Billabong Jnr / Cape Town / 16.09.2013 / 21:30 / SS8
Billabong Jnr / Cape Town / 17.09.2013 / 8:00 / SS8
Billabong Jnr / Cape Town / 18.09.2013 / 12:00 / SelectSA
Billabong Jnr / Cape Town / 18.09.2013 / 17:00 / SS8
Billabong Jnr / Cape Town / 19.09.2013 / 10:00 / SS8
Billabong Jnr / Cape Town / 19.09.2013 / 15:00 / SelectSA
Billabong Jnr / Cape Town / 20.09.2013 / 14:00 / SS8