Barend Burger and Ian Pienaar secure win at the 2014 MTN Panorama Tour
The four-day MTN Panorama Tour, came to a close on Tuesday with Barend Burger and Ian Pienaar of Demacon-Europcar securing the overall win in Casterbridge, White River.
The formidable young duo in the Men’s section, who led the standings since Stage 1 on Saturday, 26th April, finished six minutes ahead Franco Ferreira and Trevor Davies in a time of 09:40’08”, which was essentially quick enough to take home the yellow jersey. Ferreira and Davies of Complete Cyclist, in the Sub Veteran section, were not in the best form on the road during the first two stages but worked hard enough to secure a runners-up finish overall with a time of 09:46’15”.
The final stage – the 36km Time Trial – was always going to be an uphill battle for the teams still in the running for top honours in the general classification, however Burger and Pienaar held their nerve in an exciting finish despite coming in second behind Henry Uys and Mike Hewan.
Third in the overall standings were the competitive duo of Stephane Reyneke and Wesley Eslick representing Bestmed ASG Men, who consistently kept themselves closely behind the wheels of the winners from Stage 1.
The Garmin and Bells Cycling pair of Yolandi du Toit and Dalene van Der Leek, who rode phenomenally in the heat in the Lowveld since Stage 1, maintained their momentum to take home the winner’s jersey and gold medal in the women’s race. Second in the women’s section were An-li Kachelhoffer and Anli Smith.
John Wakefield and Anriette Schoeman were crowned champions in the Mixed section for the second year in succession in an overall time of 10:06’34”.
In the Masters section, Jose Antunes and Leon Olivier were the best riders and champions in the over 50s after claiming all the stages since day one on. Their overall time was 10:03’59”.
The 2014 edition of the MTN Panorama Tour, now in its 9th year, saw Team MTN Qhubeka pro-continental superstars, Andreas Stauff, Tsgabu Grmay and John-Lee Augustyn also participating in the Tour, this time as teammates for MTN Business clients.
MTN Panorama Tour – General Classification
1. Barend Burger and Ian Pienaar (Demacon-europcar) – GC: 09:40:08
2. Franco Ferreira and Trevor Davies (Complete Cyclist) – GC: 09:46:15
3. Stephan Reyneke and Wesley Eslick (Bestmed ASG Men) – GC: 09:46:51
4. Alan Gordon and Adolph Krige (Ownsurance 1) – GC: 09:47:4
5. Jacques Fullard and Hansie Joubert (Team Bianchi) – GC: 09:49:49
6. Henry Uys and Mike Hewan (Complete Cyclist USN) – GC: 09:50:27
1. Barend Burger and Ian Pienaar (Demacon-Europcar) – GC: 09:40:08
2. Stephan Reyneke and Wesley Eslick (Bestmed ASG Men) – GC: 09:46:51
3. Alan Gordon and Adolph Krige (Ownsurance 1) – GC: 09:47:4
1. Yolandi du Toit and Dalene van Der Leek – GC: 10:30:45
2. An-li Kachelhoffer and Anli Smith – GC: 10:40:48
3. Andrea Steyn and Marlene Mathey –GC: 11:18:49
1. John Wakefield and Anriette Schoeman – GC: 10:06:34
2. Grant Edmiston and Greer Wynn – GC: 10:15:32
3. Susan Garrett and David Garret – GC: 10:25:53